The Best Way To Get Rid Of Ants On Your Edisto Island Property
September 10, 2021 - Ants
The last thing you want to find on your Edisto Island property is a pest problem, but some infestations are a lot more common than others. Insects such as ants can be found almost everywhere, and while they're incredibly beneficial in nature, they make rather unsightly pests and can even be dangerous to have around your home. Unfortunately, given their minuscule size and nesting habits, discovering an infestation before it's out of control is nearly impossible.
Common Ants That Infest Edisto Island Properties
There are over 12,000 different ant species worldwide, but thankfully there are far fewer species found in the United States, and even fewer that infest residential areas. There are only four that are typically found in Edisto Island properties:
- Fire Ant – 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch long, red to dark brown
- Carpenter Ant – 3/8 to 5/8 of an inch long, either black or red and black in color
- Odorous House Ant – 1/8 of an inch long, dark brown to black
- Pavement Ant – 1/10 to 1/8 of an inch long, dark brown to black
Ant infestations are split between two categories; nuisance infestations, and dangerous infestations. Nuisance infestations, like the odorous house ant and pavement ant, don't cause any structural damage or health problems when they infest, they just look gross and contaminate food.
Dangerous infestations though, like fire ants and carpenter ants, can cause some pretty serious problems for your household. Carpenter ants can create thousands of dollars worth of structural damage if left to their own devices, and not only do fire ants pack a nasty sting, they can also chew through electrical wires.
How To Prevent Ants From Infesting Your Edisto Island Property
With ant infestations, prevention can be difficult in even the best situations, and there's no guarantee that your Edisto Island will be completely safe if you take these precautions. Still, something is always better than nothing, especially when it comes to the safety of your home.
- Make sure your lawn is draining properly by aerating the soil.
- Check for any leaky pipes and extensive water damage, and repair as necessary.
- Fill in any holes, gaps, and cracks around the exterior of your home; siding, foundation, around outdoor-leading pipes and wires, exposed wood.
- Replace worn-down insulation around door frames and windows.
- Sweep, mop, and vacuum regularly to keep food particles off the floor.
- Clean up any food and drink spills immediately after they occur.
- Keep tight-fitting lids on all indoor and outdoor trash cans.
- Store dried goods in airtight containers, and never leave food sitting out overnight.
- Wipe down all counters and food prep areas daily.
The Difference Between DIY Pest Control & Professional Assistance
There are many reasons why trying to exterminate ants on your own would be a bad idea. Not only is it difficult to locate the entire nest, but certain species have also been known to use a process called budding, which creates new nests by branching out with a new reproductive. If a colony is scared badly enough, it'll trigger an emergency budding, which will cause an even worse infestation. On top of that, store-bought pesticides are packed full of harmful chemicals that could hurt your family and damage the ecosystem, and they're rarely ever effective in eradicating an infestation.
Trusting in a pest control company like Apex of Edisto Pest Management won't just save you time and money, it'll also guarantee your home stays pest-free. We offer affordable, competitive prices for our treatments, and we always use the highest quality pest control products available on the market. Take the guesswork out of pest control. Get in contact with us today to start discussing your home pest control or commercial pest management options.