Edisto Islands Complete Cockroach Prevention Guide
January 15, 2022 - Cockroaches
Cockroaches may be one of the nastiest, most disgusting pests you can encounter in your Edisto Island home. Their creepy appearance and the way they scurry around your home can make you want to move. Worse, if you see one cockroach, it means there are probably more. Here in South Carolina, our humid climate means cockroaches are a common pest. There are three different types of cockroaches that we see most commonly:
- German cockroach: Commonly found indoors in areas where food is stored or cooked, like pantries and kitchens.
- American cockroach: American cockroaches are found outside in your garden but will also make their way into your home in search of food or water.
- Asian cockroach: This species of cockroach prefers to live outside. They will come inside when the weather conditions make living outside difficult.
Whether you are dealing with American cockroaches, German cockroaches, or Asian cockroaches, we can help. Contact Apex of Edisto Pest Management for all your residential and commercial pest control concerns, including prevention and elimination of all different types of cockroaches.
Are Roaches Dangerous?
Cockroaches are already a creepy, disgusting, and annoying pest to have around your home. Their presence alone can make you uncomfortable. Worse than that, cockroaches can be dangerous to you and anyone else in your Edisto Island home.
Cockroaches are known to spread a variety of diseases. Studies have found that they can spread up to 33 different types of diseases that are dangerous to humans, including listeria and salmonellosis. They are also known vectors for six types of parasitic worms and seven other deadly human pathogens. On top of that, cockroaches have been found to increase the severity of asthma symptoms and allergies in people who are sensitive, especially children.
How Can I Prevent Cockroaches?
As bad as it is to have cockroaches around your home, you want to do everything possible to keep them out. The good news is that there are steps you can take to prevent cockroaches. Here are some cockroach prevention tips to keep roaches out of your home:
- Seal cracks and crevices around your home.
- Eliminate areas of high humidity around your home, and use a dehumidifier if necessary.
- Repair leaky or clogged pipes.
- Don’t allow dishes to pile up in the sink.
- Take your trash out regularly and store it in bins with sealed lids.
- Clean your home frequently, paying attention to bathrooms and kitchens.
- Store food in airtight containers.
Another important cockroach prevention tip is to make sure that they can’t get in. Pay attention to areas where utilities, wires, and pipes enter your home. The small gaps in your walls or foundation surrounding these areas provide cockroaches with enough space to enter your home and access to dark areas where you may not be able to see them.
Get Help From The Pros
If you are worried about cockroaches in your home, the best thing you can do is work with a professional home pest control company for cockroach control. At Apex of Edisto Pest Management, our highly trained technicians can inspect your home and develop a pest control plan that is designed to prevent pests, including cockroaches.
If you are already dealing with an active cockroach infestation, call us immediately. If you see one cockroach, chances are you have an infestation. While you may only see one, there are many more hiding in the dark areas of your home. We know where to look to get to the root of your roach problem and exactly what steps to take to for quick and effective cockroach elimination.
Whether you are worried about cockroach control or need quick and effective cockroach elimination, call us at Apex of Edisto Pest Management and find out if you live within our pest control service area. We can keep your home safe from these dangerous and disgusting pests.